Maintenance in an important aspect of owning your own vehicle. Without routine maintenance, your car becomes more prone to major malfunctions that can not only lead to significant financial costs, but might also create an unsafe or deadly situation for you and your passengers. Aside from financial hardship, most drivers typically neglect their vehicle maintenance because of a lack of awareness. Keeping up with needed repairs and suggested maintenance can reduce your risk of being in an avoidable accident.
Common Maintenance to Be Aware of
- Cylinder Replacement: Cylinder malfunction often happens when there is an incorrect mixture of fuel, air and sparks. This leads to the cylinder overheating and eventually failing.
- Transmission Assembly/Replacement: A faulty transmission will likely make your car unable to turn. These problems are usually caused by irregular or infrequent maintenance.
- Spark-Plug Replacement: Failing to replace this can cause your vehicle’s cylinders to heat up and stop working.
- Camshaft Replacement: Dirt and grime builds up when you don’t get oil changes frequently enough. This can sometimes lead to the camshaft breaking down.
What Can I do to Maintain My Vehicle?
- Check Your Fluids: Immediately refill any fluids that appear to be low. Low fluid levels can make your engine overheat.
- Change Your Oil Regularly: Oil keeps your engine going, so be sure to keep your oil levels where they need to be. Check and change your oil every 3,000 miles.
- Check Your Tire Pressure: Failing to check or maintain your vehicle’s tire pressure leads to more wear and tear and also increases the need to replace your tires entirely. Too much air in your tires can sometimes cause a blowout.
- Change Your Engine’s Air Filter: Dirty filters shorten the life expectancy of you vehicle and can even affect the gas mileage.
Performing basic and routine maintenance can boost your vehicle’s performance and reduce your chances of a serious malfunction. While this may seem daunting to new drivers, it is an important part of being a responsible car owner, and something we should all be aware of.
For more information about the importance of vehicle maintenance, contact our Reno car accident lawyerstoday! We care about your concerns at Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P.