Child Custody and Summer Visitation

A father and his son on a dock looking out at the lake

Child custody and visitation orders are designed to promote frequent associations and a continuing relationship between a child and both parents when those parents are separated. For noncustodial parents, the summer season is a time when they have more frequent or longer visits since school is out. For parents who live in a different state than their child, frequent visits may not be feasible or affordable, so a custody order will often include extended Summer visitation to make up for the lost time. For Summer 2020, the COVID-19 health crisis has thrown an unforeseen wrench into visitation plans.

How COVID-19 May Impact Summer Visitation

We are living in a different world than we were earlier this year. COVID-19 has resulted in well over 100,000 deaths and big changes in the way we work, parent, and live. It also adds hurdles and considerations when it comes to summer visitation.

For example, if a non-custodial parent lives far away or in a different state than the child, then air travel may be the typical means of transporting the child between homes. Now, parents may not feel safe traveling by plane or putting their child at risk of contracting COVID-19.

COVID-19 has also created unemployment for many parents or a requirement that they work remotely. These changes may impact a parent’s ability to serve as a caregiver for their child during their summer visitation period. Negative impacts may be compounded by an inability to secure childcare for the child.

Further, parents may have legitimate concerns about the other parent’s exposure to COVID-19 based upon the nature of their employment or whether the parent has not been social distancing. This may lead to anxiety and hesitation in following visitation orders.

If you have concerns about summer visitation or child custody orders during this pandemic, you need to contact a family law attorney. If you have existing orders, you are bound to follow those orders unless modified by the court or if you can reach an agreement with the other parent. Failure to follow orders can have unwanted effects. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and navigate the current state of the courts.

Family Law Attorneys, Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P.

If you want to explore modifying or enforcing a child custody order, contact Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman, L.L.P. While access to courts have been delayed, attorneys are still available to advise and represent your legal interests. You need a family law attorney who will listen to you, and provide you with the information you need to move forward. Contact Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P. today at (775) 227-2280 to schedule a consultation or contact our office through our website.

Related Posts
  • Can You Keep a Divorce Private in Nevada? Read More
  • Child Custody Frequently Asked Questions Read More
  • Will I Have to Pay Alimony? Read More