A Certified Family Law Specialist, Raymond E. Oster brings invaluable experience and skill to Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P. Working with the firm since 1999, he became a partner in 2004.
Prior to this, he served as a law clerk for the Honorable Michael E. Fondi and Michael R. Griffin. Mr. Oster was formerly a Deputy District Attorney in his hometown of Carson City, NV. He had the role of lead counsel in numerous felony jury trials, representing the state in appeals to the Nevada Supreme Court.
Graduating in 1993 from the University of Nevada, Reno, Mr. Oster went on to pursue his legal education at Gonzaga University School of Law, where he graduated cum laude in 1996. In 2006, the State Bar of Nevada started to offer certification for lawyers interested in becoming Certified Family Law Specialists. During this first year, Mr. Oster was the only legal professional in the state to earn the certification.
Mr. Oster was later invited to become a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) in 2009, recognizing him as a skilled and trusted family lawyer. In fact, AAML is one of the country’s most respected and prestigious family law organizations. Only those attorneys who demonstrate impeccable knowledge, skill, and experience are invited in. As the first individual in the state to successfully pass both the State Bar of Nevada and AAML tests on family law, he stands out as a truly talented and effective family law attorney in Reno.
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Washington - 1996
- University of Nevada, Reno, Nevada - 1993
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (hereinafter "AAML")
In addition to earning recognition a specialist and AAML fellow, Mr. Oster has been recognized by the community and his peers alike for his effective legal representation in family law matters.
Some of his notable honors include the following:
- Appointed to develop special discovery rules for family law by the Nevada Supreme Court
- Drafted the Amicus Curiae Brief for the State Bar of Nevada in Rivero v. Rivero—which was a landmark decision on custody and child support
- Elected to the State Bar Family Executive Counsel from 2004-2012 until term expired
- Elected as Vice-Chair for Executive Council from 2007-2009.
- Appointed to the Northern Nevada Fee Dispute Arbitration Committee
- Helped draft requirements for Family Law Specialization
- Appointed as special member of Judicial Selection Committee
Over the years, Mr. Oster has also been asked to lecture on family law matters at the Annual Family Law Conference, the Nevada State Bar Convention, CASA training, as well as various other continuing legal education courses.
- Nevada, 1996