Nevada Wrongful Death: Can I File a Lawsuit?

Wrongful death

Unexpectedly losing a loved one can be emotionally and financially debilitating. . Whether you have lost a spouse, a parent, or a child, you have lost their light, their love, their presence, and their companionship. If you were financially dependent on the person you lost, then you have an additional layer of economic hardship that is difficult to recover from.

If a loved one has died due to the actions or negligence of another person or company, you need to speak with an attorney. You may have a significant claim for damages through a wrongful death lawsuit, that can help you pursue accountability and to move forward.

Who May File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

In addition to the deceased victim’s (decedent’s) estate, Nevada’s wrongful death statute also allows the decedent’s heirs to file a lawsuit within 2 years for damages against those whose negligence or wrongful act caused the death.

Qualifying heirs are determined based on whether they would inherit from the decedent under the laws of intestate succession. Only these individuals may file a wrongful death lawsuit:

  • The decedent’s surviving spouse
  • The decedent’s children
  • The decedent’s parents
  • The decedent’s siblings

In addition to medical expenses and funeral expenses, an heir can also pursue damages for his or her grief or sorrow, loss of probable support, companionship, society, comfort and consortium, and damages for pain, suffering, or disfigurement of the decedent. Because these damages can be significant, these are high stakes and hard-fought lawsuits that require an experienced attorney to fight for you.

Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P., Wrongful Death Attorneys

If a close family member has been killed due to the negligence or wrongful act of another person or company, you need to consult with an attorney. The personal injury attorneys at Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman, L.L.P. know the law and can help you determine whether you have a wrongful death claim. If we determine you have a claim, we will work tirelessly to pursue maximum compensation on your behalf. Call Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P. today at (775) 227-2280 to schedule a free case consultation or contact our office through our website.

Related Posts
  • Las Vegas, NV - Elderly Woman Killed in DUI Crash at Charleston Blvd & Merialdo Ln Read More
  • What If a Victim Dies During a Personal Injury Lawsuit? Read More
  • Wrongful Death: Supporting Families With Compassion Read More