Contacting a Family Attorney When Your Circumstances Change

A gavel

To legally end marriages, courts enter divorce decrees that can address critical issues like child custody, property division, alimony, and child support. While these orders provide for certainty and stability while spouses and their children adjust to their new normal, they are also reflective of a specific snapshot in time. While divorce is the end of a relationship, the lives of every member of the family continue to move forward and evolve

As examples, we often have clients present us with some of these changed circumstances:

  • Spouses remarry and have new financial obligations or new sources of support.
  • Change in economic circumstances.
  • Job promotions or demotions, with significant changes in income.
  • A parent wants to move to another city or state.
  • New medical issues or medical needs.
  • A parent is incarcerated, becomes an unfit parent, or loses contact with the custodial parent.
  • Children get older and have different needs and desires.

Seek a Modification of Orders

As changes in circumstances are inevitable, there are legal mechanisms that allow spouses to seek modifications to orders regarding child custody, alimony, and child support. It is essential to speak with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your new life circumstances before you make any decisions that violate existing court orders.

Examples of violations include underpaying or not paying child support or alimony obligations, withholding child visitation, or moving with a child in violation of geographic restrictions. Failing to abide by court orders can have severe consequences, including losing credibility before the court, enforcement actions, monetary sanctions, and even contempt.

In contrast, courts appreciate if you take a thoughtful and legal approach to seek a change in existing court orders. If enough time has passed since your order was entered and you can demonstrate a significant change in your circumstances, courts will understand and seriously consider your requests.

Call Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P.

Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman, L.L.P. provides high-quality family law representation to men and women in Reno, Nevada. Our attorneys are experienced, effective, and well respected. We pride ourselves in providing individualized representation and take our responsibilities to our clients seriously. If you need legal assistance, call Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P. today at (775) 227-2280 to schedule an appointment or contact our office through our website.

Related Posts
  • Can You Keep a Divorce Private in Nevada? Read More
  • Child Custody Frequently Asked Questions Read More
  • Will I Have to Pay Alimony? Read More