While divorce is a tumultuous time for everyone involved, it also creates an opportunity to embrace change. To get to a place where you can truly be independent and move forward, there are still practical tasks that every divorced person should complete after their divorce decree is finalized.
- Make a File With Important Records—You will need a certified copy of any order and agreement coming out of your divorce. This includes your divorce decree and any order that involves child custody, community property, alimony, child support, and/or a name change. If an issue or controversy arises following your divorce, you will want quick access to your orders, which are a starting point in resolving post-divorce problems.
- Get Your Credit Report—We see some unfortunate behavior from people following a divorce, which includes trying to fraudulently obtain loans in the former spouse’s name or ruining the other spouse’s credit. It benefits you to monitor your credit to ensure that none of this is happening. There are also credit-monitoring services that charge a relatively small fee to monitor and alert you to any suspicious activity regarding your social security number and credit.
- Speak with Your Child’s School—Your child’s school must understand that there is a child custody order in place so that your child is released to the right person following your schedule.
- Update All of Your Memberships and Accounts—Whether it is your bank, your employer, your retirement account, your insurance policies, your cellular carrier, the post office, your email account, or even your Netflix account, you need to make sure that your spouse is taken off those accounts, or that you are taken off of your spouse’s accounts. Make sure that all passwords are changed and that all forwarding addresses are updated.
- Consult with Your Attorney With Questions—At Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman, L.L.P., we are entirely client-focused and are invested in seeing our clients successfully move forward after their divorce. We welcome questions from our clients and provide responsive, helpful answers. Some issues can arise after a divorce that necessitates going back to court for clarification or further orders, we can help you.
Call the Family Lawyers at Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P.
Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman, L.L.P. is an award-winning law firm that provides family law representation to men and women in Nevada. We embrace the attorney-client relationship and offer our clients thoughtful, and responsive service. We understand the gravity of these issues when it comes to your life and works tirelessly to achieve your best outcome. Call Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P. today at (775) 227-2280 to schedule an appointment or contact our office through our website.