Death and incapacitation are not subjects that people want to think about or talk about—especially our own. But when it comes to our hard-earned property and the wellbeing of our loved ones, people will face these subjects head-on through the process of estate planning. With a knowledgeable estate planning attorney, you can create a custom-tailored plan utilizing wills, trusts, gifts to suit your goals and maximize what you leave to your heirs.
To make the most of your initial consultation with your estate-planning attorney, it is helpful to provide as much information as possible. With a full picture of your property and your wishes, your attorney can provide you guidance that is custom-tailored to fulfill your goals. In preparation for your consultation, we would suggest gathering the following information and thinking about what you want.
- Consider what you would like to have happened were you to become incapacitated or die unexpectedly. Who would you trust to make decisions on your behalf? Who would you entrust to care for your minor children? What sort of efforts would you want made to keep you alive? Who do you want to make sure is financially taken care of? Are you in a position to transfer property now? Do you want conditions placed on how people receive the property? Do you want to give property to charity?
- The full and accurate spelling of the names of your loved ones or organizations that you would like to leave your property.
- A comprehensive list of your property. This includes separate property, marital property, property held in joint tenancy with others, bank accounts, stock portfolios, real estate, business interests, cars, jewelry, and art. Also, don’t forget the information about retirement accounts and life insurance policies.
- A list of your debts and information about the creditors to whom you owe money. A credit report can help provide this information.
- A copy of any existing will, trust agreement, prenuptial agreement, divorce decree, and any other type of contract or order that addresses your property or estate plan.
Estate Planning Attorneys at Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P.
Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman, L.L.P. is a small-sized law firm that provides unparalleled service to individuals who want to create an estate plan. Our attorneys are thoughtful, meticulous, and knowledgeable. We understand that you need peace of mind and will help craft a custom-tailored estate plan that is right for you. Contact Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P. at (775) 227-2280 to schedule a consultation or contact our office through our website.