The uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic has put parents and children in a stressful and unprecedented situation. While we collectively share in this experience, it is a uniquely lonely time as well. Under stay at home orders, children have been out of school and away from their friends for months.
Helping Your Children to Cope
Your children are going to remember this. They are months into a global shut down that we never had to experience as children. Further, there is great uncertainty as to what the summer and next fall will look like. This is a global tragedy and, normally, both you and your children are struggling. There are numerous ways you can help them cope.
- Acknowledge that this is a struggle. One of the best lessons you can teach your children is that it is ok to struggle and modeling how to cope with this struggle.
- Listen to your children and let them express themselves. They probably have many questions to which you don’t know the answer. Do your best and be present for them.
- Utilize online resources. There are many YouTube videos and websites that can help answer children’s questions about COVID-19.
- Seek a professional counselor. Many therapists have expanded their practices to utilize telehealth. A therapist can help your child develop tools to cope with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Plan frequent virtual interactions with friends. Children are going to struggle socially in group settings, but establishing some normalcy in their interaction with friends will help them acclimate when they can be around other children again.
- Your children may see other friends getting together, or people having parties, and find this unfair. It is unfair, but help them understand that you are making the best decisions for your family.
Contact Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P.
Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P. provides high quality family law representation to men and women who want to end their marriage or resolve child custody issues. Our attorneys are smart, compassionate professionals who will listen to you and provide you with clear advice. We want to help pursue your best outcome. Call Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P. today at (775) 227-2280 to schedule a consultation or contact our office through our website.