Communications between children and noncustodial parents

A Nevada parent who is divorced and who lives far away from the other parent might have an agreement that the parent contacts the child by phone, text or video call. However, if the parent is abusive or begins to harass the child, the custodial parent may wonder if they can cut off contact. Alternately, a custodial parent might simply prefer that the child have less contact with the other parent.

In the former example, parents should document incidents of harassment. They may need to return to court to change the order so that it limits the parent's contact with the child. For example, an order might specify times in which the parent is permitted to phone the child. However, even before taking this action, the parent may want to discuss the situation with a child therapist because cutting off contact between parent and child can be harmful.

For this reason, a court is unlikely to reduce access in the latter example. A parent may dislike the values or lifestyle of the other parent, but in general, it is considered in the best interests of the child for the parent and child to maintain a relationship. Before turning to the legal system, a parent may want to try and negotiate a solution with the assistance of an attorney

During a divorce, despite their differences, estranged spouses can strive to create a functional co-parenting relationship. For example, they can try to negotiate a child custody agreement instead of going before a judge. The exception is in situations of addiction or domestic abuse. In such a case, a parent may want to discuss the best approach with an attorney. The parent with either or both of those issued might be required to have only supervised visitation or might not be allowed access at all.

Related Posts
  • Child Custody Frequently Asked Questions Read More
  • Child Custody and Summer Visitation Read More
  • Child Custody and Educational Decisions Read More