Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can be devastating, and they are unfortunately common in personal injury cases. TBIs can result from a range of accidents, including car crashes, falls, and sports injuries. In this blog, we will explore the causes of TBIs and provide tips for preventing these catastrophic injuries.
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
TBIs can occur when the brain is exposed to sudden force or trauma. Some common causes of TBIs include:
- Car Accidents: TBIs are a common result of car accidents, especially when a person's head hits a hard surface like the dashboard or steering wheel.
- Falls: Falls are a leading cause of TBIs, particularly in older adults. Falls can occur on stairs, uneven surfaces, or from heights.
- Sports Injuries: Athletes in contact sports like football, hockey, and soccer are at a higher risk of suffering a TBI due to collisions with other players or falls on the playing surface.
- Violence: TBIs can result from physical assaults, including domestic violence and child abuse.
Preventing Traumatic Brain Injuries
While TBIs can be difficult to prevent entirely, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of suffering a catastrophic injury. Here are a few tips:
- Wear a Helmet: If you participate in sports or activities like cycling or skateboarding, always wear a helmet to protect your head.
- Use Caution on Stairs: Falls on stairs are a leading cause of TBIs, so be sure to use handrails and take your time when going up or down.
- Drive Safely: Always wear a seatbelt when driving or riding in a car, and avoid distracted driving behaviors like texting or eating while behind the wheel.
- Seek Medical Attention: If you experience a blow to the head, even if you don't think it's serious, seek medical attention to rule out a TBI.
Contact Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P. for Catastrophic Injury Representation
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury like a TBI, it's important to seek legal help. At Viloria, Oliphant, Oster & Aman L.L.P., our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you navigate the complex legal process and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.